Wednesday, April 18, 2012

What is fatherhood?

All it took was a text to make me erupt in laughter. My editor told me the wife of Antonio Cromartie, a professional football player for the New York Jets, is expecting twins later this year.
When I recovered from my fit of laughter, I responded: “that means he has a soccer team and a super sub.”

That makes 12 children with eight women for the condom-averse cornerback. The news, if one can call it that, meant the last time Cromartie wore a Trojan was back when he played football at Lincoln High School in Tallahassee.

Earlier in the week, my colleagues and I picked on the fertile football player. But after the laughter and sophomoric jokes subsided, I was left wondering how a man can a man sustain $24,500 in monthly child support payments. A part of me pitied this man’s estranged children, which are in Florida, Georgia, California, North Carolina, New Jersey and Texas.

By now, most of us know more than six in 10 black children in this country are born out of wedlock. There is a glut of information out there about the impact of fatherlessness and children born out of wedlock.

But, because someone is a father, or even in their child’s life, doesn’t make them a good father.

So what does?