Friday, April 13, 2012

What happens when you step out the way?

Not too long ago I was messing around on Twitter when I read a message that immediately grabbed my attention.

“Often we expect God to come to us like thunder, when He's actually being quietly persistent.”
Roy S. Johnson, a former editor at Sports Illustrated and a well-known sports journalist, shared the knowledge with me, and his 2,600 followers.

The message came at the same time I was thanking God for removing me from a toxic situation a year ago. Because the Lord, and anyone else who listened to me, knew I was miserable last April.

My frustration was so apparent my mom reminded me, without prompting, to never lose my gratitude. The next day, my dad implored me not to lose my temper at the office, even if it appeared warranted.

I dreaded going to work, money was tight, I didn’t have a permanent living situation and I wrecked the front end of my car trying to be two places at once for an employer that wanted to get rid of me — and eventually did.

During that dark period, I asked God for a few things, things that will remain between us.

Nearly a year later each one of those prayers was answered. Just like Johnson preached, of course in fewer than 140 characters, it was not a single thunderous action that led me to write a testimonial essay.

Not too many people can say they found another job by the time they figured out how to apply for unemployment. Through His grace, I am one.

Last month The Wall Street Journal reported the average unemployed American has been out of work for 40 weeks. Within 40 days of my layoff I had already accepted another job, a position that included a pay raise.

My steps have been ordered and I’m not ashamed to admit it.

When I announced my layoff to my family and friends in the middle of a sunny Friday morning last year there was a paragraph I wrote in more hope than anything else.

“Each and every one of my friends who used to work at the Democrat has found themselves happier after they have left that office. That is not at all a coincidence and I am confident I will be the next to join in that procession.”

At the time I wrote it, hope was all I had. Now, I have thanksgiving that the statement was indeed true.

Laughs and liveliness,

-Wb