Sunday, May 13, 2012

What's the difference between Eve and Steve?

I must have been in elementary school the first time I heard the word faggot.

There wasn’t a seminal moment where a light came on or anything like that. But to my curious mind it was such an interesting word. When my mom refused to spell it for me, I broke out the dictionary to find out it meant a bundle of twigs or sticks.
For the better part of the last two decades if someone says the word faggot, I instantly think of a bundle of sticks.

Maybe that makes me odd, but I thought about my original interaction with the word, which in American English, has been derisively used to label homosexuals Wednesday afternoon. Six months before he hopes to be reelected Barack Obama indicated his support for same-sex marriage in an interview with ABC News.
Some people found Obama’s support of the issue truly groundbreaking. A part of me instantly considered it cowardly, or a ploy to win voters this fall.

It is possible one’s position on an issue evolves over time. Then again, it’s more likely that the president had a slew of fund raisers planned in the next six weeks where important members of the LGBT community will be courted for their dollars, influence and votes.
History always smiles on those who favor justice and equality, even if the timing is curious. Or as Obama once said:  “The pundits, the pundits like to slice-and-dice our country into Red States and Blue States; Red States for Republicans, Blue States for Democrats. But I’ve got news for them, too. We worship an "awesome God" in the Blue States, and we don’t like federal agents poking around in our libraries in the Red States. We coach Little League in the Blue States and yes, we’ve got some gay friends in the Red States.”

Whatever may have been Obama’s motivation Wednesday, the man deserves credit for taking a stand on a divisive issue. This is the same man who introduced himself to us by reminding America that “e pluribus unum” means “out of many, one.”
In high school I used to say “I don’t hate gay people, I hate annoying gay people.” The point then, as it is now, is that I could care less what someone does in their bedroom.

If you are going to be a jerk I don’t care who you sleep with, I don’t want to be around you. Of course, it would be hypocritical to write about tolerance, and my disdain for annoying gay people, yet not admit to laughing at a well-time gay joke with just as much zest as I would a laugh about anything else that straddled the fence of polite speech. But, the point remains the same.
In 2001 I was a pudgy junior in high school who likely would have been turned down for a date by a blow-up doll. Girls were in no rush to hang out with me. For crying out loud I was six weeks away from my 17th birthday when I kissed someone for the first time.

A boy in my English class once said I looked like Steve Urkel. When I quipped I could wear a pink button-down — as I was that day — without people questioning my sexuality he got offended. People said I was mean for picking on him. However, I reminded everyone that I wouldn’t have said a word if her friend hadn’t tried to be funny in the first place.
It’s the same with public displays of affection. If two men, or two women, are walking somewhere holding hands or kissing, I might look for a count longer just to ensure my eyes are not playing tricks on me. But after that, I get just as disgusted as I would were a man and woman groping each other for the entire world to see.

A half-decade after the Urkel incident a college friend of mine tried to tell me a “friend” of hers was dating a woman. Quickly, I interjected that I figured that “friend” was her. Before she could even finish her sentence asking my thoughts on her sexual situation, I reminded her that I didn’t care who she slept with since she wasn’t sleeping with me.
Wednesday’s announcement from Obama doesn’t change any laws. The bigger news on the gay marriage front arguably came Tuesday night in North Carolina. Regardless of where one resides on this steamy issue, we should all agree that discrimination or the intentional mistreatment of anyone has no place in society.

Laughs and liveliness,
-Wb