Friday, November 22, 2013

How many times have you used the n-word?

Photo taken from www.Foxsearchlight.com/12YearsASlave


By Will Brown


It started when I was in high school. I was overweight, unpopular and a bit of a social misfit. Some of my teammates on the football team used the word, so I started copying them.

The more I used it, the more comfortable it became. My rationale at the time was I was saying “-a” instead of “-er.” Attending, and graduating from a Historically Black College, may have expanded my awareness as an African-American, but, it didn’t stop me from using the n-word when I knew white people weren’t around.

In hindsight I was ignorant to use the n-word.

In some ways calling it the n-word takes away some of the word’s sting
.
The word is nigger. If seeing or hearing the word nigger does not jar, unnerve or impact you then there is plenty of media out there to jolt your consciousness. One that tingled mine was the recently released movie “12 Years A Slave.”

Chiwetel Ejiofor’s role as the film’s protagonist was riveting. The content, language, violence and culture displayed in the film were certainly not sanitized. Still, what struck me most was just how comfortably people were called nigger in 19th century America.

It’s one thing to read about our peculiar institution. It is dramatically different to hear the word said hundreds of times in a film without the movie losing a shred of credibility. The film was so evocative I overheard a few people in the theater audibly wince during some of the scenes and exclaim their incredulity at America’s slavery system.

Midway through the 133-minute movie I told myself I would work on not saying the n-word anymore.

My usage has dwindled since college, but not to the point where I don’t occasionally succumb to using the word, or saying “ninjas” and “negro” in its place. But the reality is it should not take a movie for me to know and do better.

My father was an Army officer before and during the Civil Rights Era. My mother, who grew up during the Civil Rights Era, subtly and overtly campaigned for justice from her community. One of the few similarities my parents have nearly two decades after their ugly separation is that neither has, and neither does, use the n-word.

I am someone who cried while watching a movie about the Little Rock Nine in fourth grade, read plenty of books about 19th century America, paid more attention in history class than just about any other, sat through Eyes on the Prize with my parents, was forced to look up the world nigger in the dictionary when I was in elementary school to get an understanding of it. To top it all off, I graduated from a HBCU. Yet, none of that made me rethink my usage of the poisonous word more than watching a film based on an 1853 book that was written by a man largely forgotten in history.

That those personal facts were not enough to dissuade me from using the n-word is just as embarrassing to me as the culture that initially added that word to American English.

Let’s not mince words, America’s greatest shame is how it treated Africans and their descendants. Certainly, there have been other embarrassments; however, little compares to considering humans chattel.

Nigger is a word that should serve as a reminder just how dark our history is.

No whitewashing, sanitizing and 21st century political correctness can change what happened in the past. It’s also a reminder that what was put in the history books was not completely accurate.  (Speaking of historical accuracy, there is a certain scene in “12 Years A Slave” that should remind you of America’s third president — the same man who wrote the Declaration of Independence.)

Most of us know the line in the Declaration of Independence about holding truths to be self-evident and that all men were created equal. Most of us also know that in America, those ideals are sometimes not worth the paper they were written on.

The Declaration of Independence also states “all experience hath shown (sic), that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed.”

For years I was comfortable with using the n-word. As little evil as I would like to think I committed by using a word I picked up playing high school football, it’s certainly time I abolish it from my vocabulary.

Laughs and liveliness

-Wb