Wednesday, July 10, 2013

What do maggots and teachers have in common?


A friend of mine dropped a Lord of the Flies reference right in the middle of a recent conversation about her working environment.

My pithy response was not forthcoming because I remembered reading the book in 10th grade English, but I was bored to sleep. I retained none of the book, which was my loss.

What I did remember was my teacher that year, his insistence we read classic works like The Odyssey and The Iliad and that the Isle of Lesbos is how we now have the term “lesbian.” Unfortunately, I couldn’t accurately spell his name.

The staff directory at Booker High School noted he was no longer working at the school. Eventually an internet search revealed I did spell Mr. Kulikowski’s surname properly.

That internet search led me to look at whether other teachers I remembered were still working at the schools they taught me. Though I hardly kept up with any of them, and it’s very likely they have forgotten about me, it seemed like a fun exercise.

Teachers may be undervalued and underpaid, but they have immense value in our society. It seems incomprehensible that the starting teacher’s salary is just $35,672. What’s worse was the legislatures that used the recession as cover to slash funding for schools, eliminate classroom positions and devalue public education.

Not every teacher is a memorable one, or someone worth exalting. There are parasites in every profession.
But as I looked back at the four public schools I attended I saw many of the people who molded my life are still molding the lives of others.

My fifth grade teacher, Dwana Washington, is still teaching at Emma E. Booker Elementary as a data coach. My seventh grade Social Studies teacher, who was the son of one of my Sunday School teachers, has probably been teaching my entire life and is still at Booker Middle School. Mr. Kulikowski is gone, but there are others who still remain at Booker High School. Meanwhile Skip Arrich, the hilarious physics teacher and very accomplished soccer coach — who once promised to let me start at striker if I aced his test — has been at Rockledge High School for at least 35 years.

The 90s seem like an eternity ago to me. To those professionals, it was probably back when they had fewer gray hairs and more control over their classrooms, but I digress.

Thinking about spending a couple decades at the same place is a bit mortifying. Though a handful of people have suggested I become a teacher, I immediately respond I’m not mature enough to teach.

I like learning, but was not a great student. I like sharing ideas and information, but abhor the prospect of teaching. Longtime journalist Bill Moyers may have summed up my attitude earlier this week in a conversation he had on “Charlie Rose when he said “journalism has been a continuing course in adult education.”

Not all of us can be, or want to be, journalists. But Moyers struck a chord. Those of us who care to learn something every day should thank those who initially made learning fun — teachers.

Laughs and liveliness,


-Wb