Friday, April 26, 2013

What happened to the Foreign Floridian?



As someone who spent his entire life living within smelling distance of the beach, I did not know what to expect upon moving to South Texas.

After dropping off my girlfriend at the airport in Houston my phone died on the drive back to Victoria. For nearly 90 miles it was just me and the music to pass the time driving through cities that seemed to get smaller the further south I drove.

There were no palm trees, or reminders to visit a beach to keep my attention. It was just the countryside. Clearly, this was going to be different. Outside of spending one summer on internship in Shreveport, La, I had never spent more than three weeks away from Florida.

Initially, when I told people I was from Florida it was as though I named some exotic and foreign place. (Candidly, that is what I thought about Victoria when I first moved here, which was why I titled my blog at the Advocate the Foreign Floridian.)

When the quizzical looks subsided what I found were friendly people who preferred good news above all else. Negativity was frowned upon, but tolerated if disseminated without spite or a sense of an agenda.
As I pack up and return to Florida this weekend there were far more positives than I ever imagined when I drove along that seemingly desolate highway 21 months ago.

Any conversation with Gary Moses; challenging a pair of gentlemen to a tennis match; covering a canoe race; the story of how my cell phone became waterlogged covering said canoe race; the passion of the football fans in Port Lavaca; the excellence of the 2011 Refugio football team; the time I wrote a story about a boy who loved football and his mother left three dozen cookies on my desk as a thank you; the Twitter banter with students and athletes at Victoria West high school—special shout out to my hype men Qualian Bryant and Jonathan Vahalik, who retweeted many of my comments – and the conversations in the press box at Victoria East football games are just some of those positives.

Two years ago I had no clue what Shiner Bock was, or where it was brewed. I still haven’t tried it, but I can say that people in Shiner, Texas follow the golden rule, which is to say that they treat everyone well.
Of course there were people and things that irritated me. As time goes on those things will be forgotten, the memories that remain will only elicit smiles.

Esther Perez became a dear friend. Through the Advocate I met Camille Doty, who is not only a friend, but the person responsible for introducing me to my church home while in South Texas. And a special thank you to my college classmate Gheni Platenburg. Without her encouragement, I never would have accepted an offer from the Advocate.

 Advocate business reporter Allison Miles may be the kindest person I have ever met in my life. Miguel Torres’ daughter attended the smallest high school in Victoria, but he was such a fan of every child in the community it was impressive. Even people my editor told me were “surly” and “difficult”, like former Victoria East soccer coach Tim Eaton, wound up being energetic and engaging.

If there was one thing I learned about life in Texas it was to give people a chance. Frequently, when I went on assignment I didn’t know anyone. But people were always willing to open up and share with me.

On my first week, I underestimated the distance between Victoria and Yoakum… while my gas light was on. Were it not for Yoakum resident Paul Ebner, the Sports Information Director at the University of Houston-Victoria, telling me there was a gas station right around the corner, unbeknownst to me, I likely would have been stuck walking in the wilderness on a sweltering summer day.

No matter where I was, I always found a gas station and a Whataburger. Those two things were just as important to my random journeys as a notebook and digital recorder.

As I write this I am sipping on a root beer from another late night run to Whataburger. There are a few 
Whataburger locations in Florida, but it’s not the same. Whether I was in Refugio, Portland, Goliad, Port Lavaca, Cuero, Corpus Christi, Schulenburg, San Antonio or Kingsville I always knew where to find a Whataburger because on Friday nights the restaurants became a mobile office.


As much as I enjoyed covering other sports, and sporting events, my passion was catching soccer games. Whether it was UHV, or one of the area varsity teams, I found any and every excuse to write about the sport.

This March one soccer player told me “I didn’t know you played soccer.” Her coach looked at her, looked and me and said “He’s plays every weekend. Hey, Will, why aren’t you leading this goalie drill? Aren’t you a goalie?”

Indeed I am. Within a month of arriving in Victoria, I found a soccer team to play with. It didn’t matter that my Spanish was limited. It was a chance to play and release some energy. When word leaked out that I played on weekends my attempts at being a “portero” was a way to connect with local soccer teams.

The Victoria Advocate published for more than 160 years before I arrived. The newspaper will continue to publish long after I return to Florida. But, I will always cherish the connections I made and the friends I found in the time I was here.

Laughs and liveliness,
-Wb

p.s. Anyone who enjoyed my writing, or my work, should thank Advocate photographers, page designers, copy editors, like Esther, as well as my former colleagues Mike Forman, Clay Whittington and Albert Alvarado on the Sports desk.